Theory and history of crowdfunding
- A Timeline of Crowdfunding Since 2000
- Is Crowdfunding Participatory Citizenship or a Sign of Institutions in Decline?
- What's civic about civic crowdfunding?
- The ethics of crowdfunding (Center for Digital Ethics and Policy)
- The ethics and values of crowdfunding
- Do we own part of this? What Obama’s vision of OFA means for crowdfunding
- Why we’re building Alternative Infrastructures (and what they mean for incumbents)
- Four roles (civic) organizations can play in crowdfunding
- Where does civic crowdfunding fit on a city’s roadmap?
- Civic crowdfunding from the Statue of Liberty onwards
- Civic crowdfunding is a windfall for participation first, budgets second
Crowdfunding case studies
- Crowdfunding as a Community Development Tool
- Hawaii Proposes the First Civic Crowdfunding Legislation
- Kansas City Hosts The Biggest Civic Crowdfunding Campaign Ever
- What’s wrong with crowdfunding your own security?
- How to crowdfund a million-dollar arts project
- Crowdfunding on crack – What the Rob Ford ‘Crackstarter’ campaign means for the industry
- The Statue of Liberty and America's crowdfunding pioneer, BBC News, April 2013
- "One Spark jurors have four more days to decide how to distribute $50,000", Florida Times-Union, April 2014.
- "What does it take to win a $10,000 award for Innovation in Crowdfunding?", OneSpark blog, March 2014.
- "Crowdfunding platform Nyaya raises cash for health care for Nepal’s poor", South China Morning Post, January 2014.
- "Built by the crowd: the changing world of public infrastructure", Wired, November 2013.
- "When Batman isn't available: crowdfund", Salon.com, October 2013.
- "When money is short, should cities crowdfund?", KUOW, Seattle, September 2013.
Talks and workshops
- "An introduction to Civic Crowdfunding", class guest lecture, American University of Iraq, Sulaimani / Yale University, April 2 2014.
- "Crowdfunding for Civic Projects and Non-Profits", webinar, March 19 2014.
- "Fund Camp, a Crowdfunding Workshop for Non-Profits", public workshop, January 2014, Kansas City, MO.
- "What Kind of Cooperation?", Presentation to the Cooperation Research Group, November 2013, Berkman Center for Internet and Society, Harvard University, Cambridge MA.
- "Civic Crowfunding, Community Assets and the New Economy", Presentation to the New Economy Researchers Group, November 2013, MIT, Cambridge MA.
- "Collaborative Placemaking", Awesome Foundation Summit panel with Jamie Hand, Eric Ho and Archie Coates, October 2013, Center for Social Innovation, NYC
- "Civic crowdfunding and community assets", Digital Preservation conference, July 2013, Library of Congress, Washington DC
- "Futures of Crowdfunding", Personal Democracy Forum panel with Erin Barnes, Mike Norman and Jordan Raynor, June 2013, NYC
- "Can Crowdfunding save local government budgets?", SXSW Interactive Panel with Jordan Raynor, Story Bellows and Eric Engelman, March 2013, Austin TX.