Below you can find information on recent and upcoming talks and publications on civic crowdfunding. If you're interested in attending a talk and do not already have an invitation from the organizers, let me know.
My principal research paper is Civic Crowdfunding: Participatory Communities, Entrepreneurs and the Political Economy of Place. Here's a summary of its findings.
If you'd like occasional updates on civic crowdfunding research and events, sign up for our newsletter.
- "Four Civic Roles for Crowdfunding" in Bennett, Chin and Jones (eds.), Crowdfunding the Future: Media Industries, Ethics and Digital Society. London: Peter Lang. Under Review.
- "How Cities Can Crowdfund: Models of Engagement" in Almirall and Cohen (eds.), Open Innovation as a Driver for Smart Cities. New York: Springer. Under Review.
Upcoming conferences and talks
- "What does it take to crowdfund civic projects? The beginnings of an ecosystem", Microsoft Innovation Forum, Mountain View CA, November 18, 2014.
- "Civic Crowdfunding: Money from the Masses for Downtown Denver Bike Lane", Confluence Denver, November 2014.
- "Crowdsourcing Offers Gov Funding Option for Civic Tech", Government Technology, September 2014.
- "3 Ways to Skyrocket the Impact of Your Kickstarter Donation", Groundswell, August 2014.
- "Not in the municipal budget? Try crowdfunding", WPSU, July 2014.
- "Cathedral City wants millions in grants for festival corridor", The Desert Sun, July 2014.
- "Economía colaborativa con Maite Vizcarra" (The Collaborative Economy with Maite Vizcarra), Umbrales, TV Peru, June 2014.
- "Making something big happen at an urban scale is more than a popularity contest", Dezeen, June 2014.
- "Pay For Your City: Crowdfunding For Civic Projects Is Unusually Successful", Fast Company, June 2014.
- "Civic Crowdfunding: The Future of Paying for Community Projects", NationSwell, June 2014.
- "Planning the city, intervista a Rodrigo Davies", Italian Crowdfunding Network, June 2014.
- "Vaquinhas online priorizam educaçao, mas faltam projetos", O Estadão de Sao Paulo, June 2014.
- "A Conversation With... Rodrigo Davies", Crowdtilt blog, May 2014.
- "Civic Crowdfunding", Future Tense (Radio National, ABC), May 2014.
- "How to Raise Money for Your City Chicken Farm: Successful Civic Crowdfunding", Next City, May 2014.
- "Kickstarting the city: Can crowd-funding save our neighborhoods?", Salon.com, May 2014.
- "One Spark jurors have four more days to decide how to distribute $50,000", Florida Times-Union, April 2014.
- "What does it take to win a $10,000 award for Innovation in Crowdfunding?", OneSpark blog, March 2014.
- "Crowdfunding platform Nyaya raises cash for health care for Nepal’s poor", South China Morning Post, January 2014.
- "Built by the crowd: the changing world of public infrastructure", Wired, November 2013.
- "When Batman isn't available: crowdfund", Salon.com, October 2013.
- "When money is short, should cities crowdfund?", KUOW, Seattle, September 2013.
Talks and workshops
- "Visions from Open Cities of Tomorrow", Institute for the Future's Open Cities conference, San Francisco, 2-4 October 2014.
- "Three Provocations for Civic Crowdfunding", Association of Internet Researchers (IR15), Bangkok, Thailand, 23-25 October 2014.
- "Civic Crowdfunding as a Marketplace for Participation in Urban Development", IPP2014: Crowdsourcing for Politics and Policy, Oxford Internet Institute, UK, 25-26 September 2014.
- "Civic Crowdfunding: Four Things We Know, Two Things We Don't", Code for America Summit panel with Tiffany Chu, Rebecca Foster and Jase Wilson, San Francisco, September 24, 2014.
- "Towards Government 2.0: Open Data and Innovation through Cross-Sector Collaboration", Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, 1-3 August 2014.
- "An introduction to Civic Crowdfunding", class guest lecture, American University of Iraq, Sulaimani / Yale University, April 2 2014.
- "Crowdfunding for Civic Projects and Non-Profits", webinar, March 19 2014.
- "Fund Camp, a Crowdfunding Workshop for Non-Profits", public workshop, January 2014, Kansas City, MO.
- "What Kind of Cooperation?", Presentation to the Cooperation Research Group, November 2013, Berkman Center for Internet and Society, Harvard University, Cambridge MA.
- "Civic Crowfunding, Community Assets and the New Economy", Presentation to the New Economy Researchers Group, November 2013, MIT, Cambridge MA.
- "Collaborative Placemaking", Awesome Foundation Summit panel with Jamie Hand, Eric Ho and Archie Coates, October 2013, Center for Social Innovation, NYC
- "Civic crowdfunding and community assets", Digital Preservation conference, July 2013, Library of Congress, Washington DC
- "Futures of Crowdfunding", Personal Democracy Forum panel with Erin Barnes, Mike Norman and Jordan Raynor, June 2013, NYC
- "Can Crowdfunding save local government budgets?", SXSW Interactive Panel with Jordan Raynor, Story Bellows and Eric Engelman, March 2013, Austin TX.
Theory and history of crowdfunding
- A Timeline of Crowdfunding Since 2000
- The Digital Pollada, or What I Learned About Crowdfunding from Peruvian Chicken
- Is Crowdfunding Participatory Citizenship or a Sign of Institutions in Decline?
- What's civic about civic crowdfunding?
- The ethics of crowdfunding (Center for Digital Ethics and Policy)
- The ethics and values of crowdfunding
- Do we own part of this? What Obama’s vision of OFA means for crowdfunding
- Why we’re building Alternative Infrastructures (and what they mean for incumbents)
- Four roles (civic) organizations can play in crowdfunding
- Where does civic crowdfunding fit on a city’s roadmap?
- Civic crowdfunding from the Statue of Liberty onwards
- Civic crowdfunding is a windfall for participation first, budgets second
Crowdfunding case studies
- What's Crowdfunding (and What's Not)
- Crowdfunding as a Community Development Tool
- Hawaii Proposes the First Civic Crowdfunding Legislation
- Kansas City Hosts The Biggest Civic Crowdfunding Campaign Ever
- What’s wrong with crowdfunding your own security?
- How to crowdfund a million-dollar arts project
- Crowdfunding on crack – What the Rob Ford ‘Crackstarter’ campaign means for the industry
- The Statue of Liberty and America's crowdfunding pioneer, BBC News, April 2013