Below you can find information on recent and upcoming talks and publications on civic crowdfunding. If you’re interested in attending a talk and do not already have an invitation from the organizers, let me know.
If you’d like occasional updates on civic crowdfunding research and events, sign up for our newsletter.
Davies, Rodrigo (2014), Civic Crowdfunding: Participatory Communities, Entrepreneurs and the Political Economy of Place. MIT Masters Thesis. Cambridge, MA. (Here’s a summary of its findings.)
- “Four Civic Roles for Crowdfunding” in Bennett, Chin and Jones (eds.), Crowdfunding the Future: Media Industries, Ethics and Digital Society. London: Peter Lang. In Press.
- “How Cities Can Crowdfund: Models of Engagement” in Almirall and Cohen (eds.), Open Innovation as a Driver for Smart Cities. New York: Springer. Under Review.
- “Are crowdfunding sites becoming too political?”, CNET, April 2015.
- “Big controversy can mean big business for crowdfunding platforms”, Al Jazeera, April 2015.
- “Local Governments and Nonprofits Test Crowdfunding for Civic Projects”, Chronicle of Philanthropy, January 2015.
- “Downtown Denver Could Soon Have a Crowdfunded Bike Lane”, NextCity, December 2014.
- “Civic Crowdfunding: Money from the Masses for Downtown Denver Bike Lane”, Confluence Denver, November 2014.
- “Crowdsourcing Offers Gov Funding Option for Civic Tech”, Government Technology, September 2014.
- “3 Ways to Skyrocket the Impact of Your Kickstarter Donation”, Groundswell, August 2014.
- “Not in the municipal budget? Try crowdfunding”, WPSU, July 2014.
- “Cathedral City wants millions in grants for festival corridor”, The Desert Sun, July 2014.
- “Economía colaborativa con Maite Vizcarra” (The Collaborative Economy with Maite Vizcarra), Umbrales, TV Peru, June 2014.
- “Making something big happen at an urban scale is more than a popularity contest”, Dezeen, June 2014.
- “Pay For Your City: Crowdfunding For Civic Projects Is Unusually Successful”, Fast Company, June 2014.
- “Civic Crowdfunding: The Future of Paying for Community Projects”, NationSwell, June 2014.
- “Planning the city, intervista a Rodrigo Davies”, Italian Crowdfunding Network, June 2014.
- “Vaquinhas online priorizam educaçao, mas faltam projetos”, O Estadão de Sao Paulo, June 2014.
- “A Conversation With… Rodrigo Davies”, Crowdtilt blog, May 2014.
- “Civic Crowdfunding”, Future Tense (Radio National, ABC), May 2014.
- “How to Raise Money for Your City Chicken Farm: Successful Civic Crowdfunding”, Next City, May 2014.
- “Kickstarting the city: Can crowd-funding save our neighborhoods?”, Salon.com, May 2014.
- “One Spark jurors have four more days to decide how to distribute $50,000”, Florida Times-Union, April 2014.
- “What does it take to win a $10,000 award for Innovation in Crowdfunding?”, OneSpark blog, March 2014.
- “Crowdfunding platform Nyaya raises cash for health care for Nepal’s poor”, South China Morning Post, January 2014.
- “Built by the crowd: the changing world of public infrastructure”, Wired, November 2013.
- “When Batman isn’t available: crowdfund”, Salon.com, October 2013.
- “When money is short, should cities crowdfund?”, KUOW, Seattle, September 2013.
Talks and workshops
- “What does it take to crowdfund civic projects? The beginnings of an ecosystem”, Microsoft Innovation Forum, Mountain View CA, November 18, 2014.
- “Visions from Open Cities of Tomorrow”, Institute for the Future’s Open Cities conference, San Francisco, 2-4 October 2014.
- “Three Provocations for Civic Crowdfunding”, Association of Internet Researchers (IR15), Bangkok, Thailand, 23-25 October 2014.
- “Civic Crowdfunding as a Marketplace for Participation in Urban Development”, IPP2014: Crowdsourcing for Politics and Policy, Oxford Internet Institute, UK, 25-26 September 2014.
- “Civic Crowdfunding: Four Things We Know, Two Things We Don’t”, Code for America Summit panel with Tiffany Chu, Rebecca Foster and Jase Wilson, San Francisco, September 24, 2014.
- “Towards Government 2.0: Open Data and Innovation through Cross-Sector Collaboration”, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, 1-3 August 2014.
- “An introduction to Civic Crowdfunding”, class guest lecture, American University of Iraq, Sulaimani / Yale University, April 2 2014.
- “Crowdfunding for Civic Projects and Non-Profits”, webinar, March 19 2014.
- “Fund Camp, a Crowdfunding Workshop for Non-Profits”, public workshop, January 2014, Kansas City, MO.
- “What Kind of Cooperation?”, Presentation to the Cooperation Research Group, November 2013, Berkman Center for Internet and Society, Harvard University, Cambridge MA.
- “Civic Crowfunding, Community Assets and the New Economy”, Presentation to the New Economy Researchers Group, November 2013, MIT, Cambridge MA.
- “Collaborative Placemaking”, Awesome Foundation Summit panel with Jamie Hand, Eric Ho and Archie Coates, October 2013, Center for Social Innovation, NYC
- “Civic crowdfunding and community assets”, Digital Preservation conference, July 2013, Library of Congress, Washington DC
- “Futures of Crowdfunding”, Personal Democracy Forum panel with Erin Barnes, Mike Norman and Jordan Raynor, June 2013, NYC
- “Can Crowdfunding save local government budgets?”, SXSW Interactive Panel with Jordan Raynor, Story Bellows and Eric Engelman, March 2013, Austin TX.
Theory and history of crowdfunding
- A Timeline of Crowdfunding Since 2000
- The Digital Pollada, or What I Learned About Crowdfunding from Peruvian Chicken
- Is Crowdfunding Participatory Citizenship or a Sign of Institutions in Decline?
- What’s civic about civic crowdfunding?
- The ethics of crowdfunding (Center for Digital Ethics and Policy)
- The ethics and values of crowdfunding
- Do we own part of this? What Obama’s vision of OFA means for crowdfunding
- Why we’re building Alternative Infrastructures (and what they mean for incumbents)
- Four roles (civic) organizations can play in crowdfunding
- Where does civic crowdfunding fit on a city’s roadmap?
- Civic crowdfunding from the Statue of Liberty onwards
- Civic crowdfunding is a windfall for participation first, budgets second
Crowdfunding case studies
- What’s Crowdfunding (and What’s Not)
- Crowdfunding as a Community Development Tool
- Hawaii Proposes the First Civic Crowdfunding Legislation
- Kansas City Hosts The Biggest Civic Crowdfunding Campaign Ever
- What’s wrong with crowdfunding your own security?
- How to crowdfund a million-dollar arts project
- Crowdfunding on crack – What the Rob Ford ‘Crackstarter’ campaign means for the industry
- The Statue of Liberty and America’s crowdfunding pioneer, BBC News, April 2013